Sunday, July 20, 2014

adventure # 209: 29!



"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo from Pokemon the first movie: Mewtwo strikes back

July 20, 2014

Dear 29 year old Toni,

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I remember Mum asking you when you're about 5 or 6.

"I want to become an Astronaut!" you screamed at the top of your lungs. "I want to ride a spaceship and explore the galaxy far, far and away!"

However, that answer changed multiple times- fireman, ice cream man, scientist, superhero, doctor, etc. Fast forward to the present, whenever people would ask you what you want to be, you would tell them that you (seriously) want to be a Pokemon Master.

Would it be just absolutely awesome if Pokemons really exist?

"Do things today that your future self will be proud of" says a bumper sticker plastered on one of the walls inside your room. Like in the world of Pokemon, you've had your share of mistakes due to miscalculation of your battle strategies, faced and lost to more experienced Pokemon gym leaders, unintentionally hurting people close to you because of pride and ego, met people who betrayed you, and just stupid decisions borne out of ignorance, But you still welcome all of these flaws for it allowed you to discover yourself, grow, and be the person that you are now.

As you looked at the not-so-great things that shaped you, never ever forget to give credit to the wonderful life moments that has equally made your life extra special- the people who has stood beside you in battle whether you win or you lose.

There are still a lot of battles that you have to face, more rare and legendary Pokemons to discover, fight to get additional Pokemon badges- that's good, continue that. But always remember that not all battles should be won. There is strength and dignity in losing sometimes. Oftentimes, it's not the Pokemon badge that makes a battle worth fighting for. The battle scars and the experience you get are more than enough to give yourself a pat on the back.

So go forth and continue your journey. Embrace every scar, every heartbreak, every laugh, every hug, every act of kindness. Continue to live a life of wonder. Never ever stop learning.

Happy 29 years, Pokemon Master-in-Training! So far, so good.

Sincerely,

Your future Pokemon Master self

PS: Enough of the drama, let's go grab a beer! xx

1 comment:

  1. I watched few of the Pokemon the movies, I'm not as addicted as my brother. I like to watch only if I have a companion so I usually sit with my brother as he watch, or my little sister.

    I saw your picture and that made me smile.. So I started reading the words below.

    ~" Sa Mata ng Isang Probinsiyana "~

    .

    ReplyDelete